The following forms part of the course notes for the workshop on Rapidinnovation I would conduct on 26th April 2013 at Indian Chamber of Commerce, Kolkata.
General Principles and Methods of Rapidinnovation:
A) Management Perspectives:
1. Follow your aspirations but check the facts (failures are all around) and re-purpose if need be.
2. Aspiration shapes strategy; Strategy provides vision; Failures stop us from arriving at vision; Improvisation/innovations to eliminate failures pave the way to arrive at the vision.
3. Take failures of any system as the starting point of learning and leadership. Learn to face failures and fears through improvisation and innovation to balance both efficiency and effectiveness.
4. Through inventions, innovations and improvisations we can release the untapped potential of any organization for higher Productivity, Performance and Profitability simply free of cost giving on-going benefits.
B) Read on-going organizational stories:
5. What is going on?
6. What does it mean?
7. What might we do about it?
C) The nature of failures: Catching the snake
8. All failures in organizations are stories of tiredness & unhappiness of the human spirit. However, no management would like to fail. The Loss to the society is irredeemable. What might we do about it?
9. Whatever is visible would fail; whatever is invisible drives all failures.
10. Whatever fails is never the cause or culprit of the failure.
11. All failures are stories of interdependence.
12. Problems only appear when the necessary conditions to solve or resolve them are present.
13. The solution/resolution of any problem lies in the ‘motion’ of the problem itself.
D) The underlying process: PLS3D Awareness
14. Pay attention to a failure or problem or issue, called a point (Point)
15. Connect other points (Line)
16. Connect the lines to form surfaces (Surface)
17. Create a 3 Dimensional view of the failures and problems (3D)
18. Transcend the 3D view (Beyond)
E) What we might do:
19. Achieve balance of forces and fields through re-design
20. Balance contradictions
21. Eliminate imperfections within the interactions
22. Change quantity to improve or change quality
23. Allow ‘negation of negation’ to its natural conclusions.
24. Optimize time between negations.
25. Recreate a new story by changing the stories that cause failures.
26. Learning is a personal responsibility. It is about personal mastery.
27. Collaboratively learn through self-study, observations, thoughts of others, interactions with peers and mentors and feedback from your own work since learning, understanding and gaining insights might not possibly happen in one stroke.
28. To learn continuously and deeply stop learning; do, think, reflect, experience deeply, bring your unique perspective into anything; be the discipline; arrive at wisdom
29. Use the stories of all failures in an organization to develop training and education within the organization.
30. Luckily, all of that happen in a blink through perseverance and patience, aided by the power of emergent complexity of our 800 MB human genome in a self-organizing way that can beat the best super computer of the world.
G) Measurement Criteria:
31. Productivity, Performance and Profitability (Effectiveness)
33. Health, Happiness, Creativity (Human Spirit)